6th Pan-European stakeholder consultation for the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES)
We are pleased to invite you to the 6th Pan-European Stakeholder Consultation (PESC-6) meeting! This event will bring together biodiversity stakeholders from Europe and Central Asia in support of IPBES. You can check previous editions here.
The objectives and expected outputs of this PESC-6 meeting are to:
- Introduce newcomers to IPBES (optional session organised by the Open-ended Stakeholder Network ONet).
- Discuss collectively the First Order Draft (FOD) of Invasive Alien Species (IAS) assessment and collect comments to be submitted to IPBES as stakeholders’ perspective during the open review phase.
- Inform participants on actions taking place at the national and regional level in Europe and Central Asia to engage stakeholders in the IPBES workplan (ECA network).
- Present an example of a European science-policy interface (EKLIPSE).
Due to the exceptional sanitary circumstances and current travel restrictions related to COVID-19, the event will be organised as a virtual meeting, using the ZOOM Virtual Meeting Platform.
For Russian-speaking participants, there will be English-Russian-English interpreters to translate the presentations during the plenary sessions.
Date & time:
Pre-session for newcomers to IPBES: 5 October 2020 / 09:00-09:30 CET
PESC-6 meeting: 5 and 6 October 2020 / 10:00-13:00 CET
Before the PESC-6 meeting starts: Pre-session of information for newcomers, organised by ONet - 30 min.
- Capacity building needs and initiatives in the European and Central Asia region (including introduction to the ECA network). Ideas and suggestions from stakeholders to develop additional activities/bring in new countries - 30 min.
- Introduction to the Invasive Alien Species (IAS) Assessment - 45 min.
- Instructions and group review of the First Order Draft (FOD) of the Invasive Alien Species (IAS) assessment - 1h45 min.
- Group review of the First Order Draft (FOD) of the Invasive Alien Species (IAS) Assessment - 2h.
- EKLIPSE, example of a European science-policy interface - 30 min.
- What's next? Info session on upcoming IPBES activities - 30 min.
To participate in the sessions on the FOD of the IAS assessment (see scoping report, Annex III, p. 41), we kindly ask you to be registered as a reviewer of this assessment. The FOD of the IAS assessment is a confidential document and can only access by registered reviewers.
To register as an IPBES external reviewer of the IAS assessment, you need to:
- Make sure you have an IPBES website user account and that you are be logged in. Please note that the account verification process can take up to 24-48 hours.
- Once you are logged in, register to become an IPBES external reviewer for this assessment report here;
- After registering, you will receive an email (within one business day) providing confidential access to the assessment and the template to use to provide your comments.
For the full notification, see here.
The review period runs from the 31st of August to the 18th of October 2020.
Deadline for registrations: 30th of September 2020.
Please note that, places might be limited for technical reasons, depending on the number of registrations we receive. We will then make a selection to ensure the best representation possible of stakeholders and countries.
Contact point: Lise Goudeseune, firstname.lastname@example.org
A more detailed programme, as well as some guidance and instructions to review of the First Order Draft (FOD) of the Invasive Alien Species (IAS) Assessment will be available very soon!
To know more about IPBES, we recommend you to read the introduction for stakeholders.
This meeting is organised by the European and Central Asia Network of organisations engaging in IPBES, in close collaboration with the IPBES Capacity Building TSU, ONet, the IUCN Regional Office for Eastern Europe and Central Asia, and the Institut für Biodiversität.